Work on museum now completed

Progressing well . . . While construction work has finished, there were hopes the pathway around the Temuka Courthouse Museum would be re-asphalted. PHOTO: SHELLEY INON

Construction work on Temuka’s Courthouse Museum has been completed, but an opening date is still some way off.

Project co-ordinator Pat Mulvey said construction work was finished and the cabinets were back in the building.

Work required to strengthen and upgrade the building had included internal reinforcing and a new rainwater control system to replace drainage that no longer worked.

Original decorative ceiling panels in the courtroom area had been reinstated

Brand spanking new . . . A new utility shed, which will contain cleaning products and chairs, will be incorporated in the farming display when all of the exhibition pieces are moved back in. PHOTO: SUPPLIED

He said they had a few slow months since Christmas, biding their time until they had sufficient funds to continue work.

‘‘It’s moving, but slowly.’’

A new utility shed, which would offer a discreet place to store chairs and cleaning equipment had been built in the farming section of the museum.

Mr Mulvey said they had selected that area so the shed would be incorporated into the farming display.

He knew a few of the women involved with the museum were ‘‘champing at the bit’’ to set up the displays.

Museum committee members had last year visited the Oamaru and Waimate museums to explore various display ideas.

Tall order . . . Construction work — which involved chimney strengthening — has been completed. PHOTO: SUPPLIED

Mr Mulvey said museums had new ways of displaying things, and while it would be up to the committee members to decide, there was a possibility they would have a mix of techniques.

Mr Mulvey said funds were still needed for things like reasphalting the pathway to the building and upgrading disability access.

The courthouse museum usually closed over winter and opened in spring, and while Mr Mulvey said he could not be sure when it would reopen to the public, he was hopeful it would be before summer.

He said if anyone was wanting to make a donation towards the project, they could contact him or Heather Moss, or reach out to their Facebook page.