There are still no new Covid-19 cases in South Canterbury.
It was announced today there are 54 new confirmed and probable cases in New Zealand, bringing the total number of cases to 1160.
The South Canterbury District Health Board confirmed today there were still 10 cases in the area. The last cases were confirmed on April 1.
Today’s new nationwide figure is down from the 67 new cases reported yesterday.
Director-general of health Dr Ashley Bloomfield said there are 12 people in hospital – four of them are in ICUs in Wellington, Waitemata, Counties and Southern, and one of them is in a critical condition.
One person had been discharged from hospital since the update yesterday.
Bloomfield said 241 people have now recovered from the coronavirus.
The new total number of cases since the pandemic began has now risen to 1160.
The Southern District continues to be the health board area with the most cases at 187 and has increased by 10 cases over the last 24 hours, the Ministry of Health has confirmed.
It was also the district which had the highest increase of cases over that 24-hour period, followed by the Waikato DHB (9 cases) and the Caterbury and Counties Manukau DHBs (7 cases each).
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has also spoken at today’s media conference and said the case rates suggested the level four lockdown was working.
“For the moment, we do appear, at this early stage, to be on track.”
Yesterday the prime minister made it clear the alert level four Covid-19 lockdown will go for the full four weeks, and she said today it was more important than ever that people stayed home.
“Now is not the time to change any of our behaviours.”
The number of people coming to New Zealand overseas with Covid-19 has been dropping.
The most affected age group is the 20-29 age bracket (286 in this age group).
RNZ/ NZ Herald