by Greta Yeoman
May marks the return of New Zealand Music Month, celebrating the musical creativity of songwriters, both past and present, who hail from these shores.
To recognise the Kiwi music celebration, The Courier is asking South Canterbury music fans to list their top five Kiwi acts.
This week Greta Yeoman asks Timaru record store owner Barry O’Reilly, of At Last Records, for his musical suggestions.
1. Lorde – “[She is] a voice of a generation.”
2. Dinah Lee – “[A] Waimate rock-a-billy queen.”
3. Tami Neilson – “Songs of heart, vocals with lots of soul.”
4. Human Instinct – “‘Jams’ [are] a thing.”
5. Hello Sailor – “Distinctive vocals. Thanks guys.”