by Greta Yeoman
The release of the first collection of data from last year’s census has been put off until September.
This follows earlier revisions of the release date after fewer people took part in the census than expected.
Census 2018 was the first census undertaken mainly online in New Zealand.
Stats NZ had originally planned to release the first collection of information last October but mid-last year shifted that date to March.
This has now been shifted to September 23, following ongoing work by Stats NZ staff to improve the data in the census.
Initial calculations showed 90% of respondents had fully or partially completed forms, compared with 94.5% in the 2013 census.
This had delayed the data release as Stats NZ sought to obtain information through other government sources, a spokeswoman said.
However, information on iwi affiliation would not be released, she said.
This was because of how much data was missing, and the lack of alternative government sources to fill the gaps.
Population estimates would be among the figures released in September.