by Rachael Comer

Private Jack Dunn was the only New Zealander to be sentenced to death by a court martial during the Gallipoli campaign in World War 1.
While he was spared from the firing squad, the war still took his life.
The discovery of his story prompted his great-nephew, Pat White, of Fairlie, to document his life.
Mr White is displaying his paintings, writing and family photos at the Aigantighe Art Gallery in Timaru until May 21, in Gallipoli: in search of a family story – a tribute to Pte Dunn, who fought in Gallipoli.
“This exhibition is the story of his life,” Mr White said.
“Discovering my great-uncle’s story set my on a journey of 10 years finding out about things.”
Mr White, who lived in Wairarapa at the time, first learnt about Pte Dunn while listening to a friend read poetry at Masterton Library.
“I met Chris Pugsley, an historian. He said to me, ‘Are you related to Jack White from Stratford, as you look just like him?’.
“I said, ‘Yes, he’s my father’.”
Mr White said he had been confused and asked Mr Pugsley why he had spoken to his father.
“He said, ‘I was talking to him about Jack Dunn’.
“I didn’t know who Jack Dunn was. I didn’t have any idea and so I first heard about John Robert Dunn [Jack], who died fighting at Gallipoli in 1915. He was one of the Anzacs.”
Mr White said his great-uncle’s story was not talked about in the family.
“His life was just never mentioned.
“The only story Dad told of his uncle was when he carried my father on his shoulders up the steps to Castlepoint lighthouse when it was opened in 1913. My father was 4 at the time.”
Mr White said while researching his great-uncle’s life, he learnt a lot about the war, and its pointless nature.
“One thing I’ve never been able to understand is the parents of the boys that went to war moved to New Zealand from England to start a new life, and then sent their sons back to fight for their country.
“They had no idea what they were getting into.”
Mr White discovered his great-uncle was found asleep while on sentry duty. He had returned to Gallipoli from hospital just two days previously and was sent on duty despite reporting sick earlier that morning.
Pte Dunn was put before a court martial and charged with endangering the safety of his unit. He was found guilty and sentenced to death.
However, he was saved from a firing squad. On August 5 Pte Dunn was informed that, while he would have to serve 10 years’ hard labour for his crime, he would be temporarily released to participate in the August offensive.
He died three days later, fighting at Chunuk Bair.
Mr White said he had shown the exhibition several years ago in Masterton, but it was the first time for Timaru.
Mr White will talk about his exhibition at the Aigantighe Art Gallery on Saturday at 2pm and at the Geraldine Library on Monday at 2.30pm.Nike sneakersNike Air Force 1 07 Khaki Dark Green Medium Olive /Black-Starfish