Sacred Heart parishioners and school children earlier this month to celebrate the bicentenary of their founder, Saint Marcellin Champagnat.
Brs Joseph McCarthy, Martin Pattison and Terrence Maney – who taught at Marist School in Timaru – along with Mark Oliver, Alan Henley and Osmund Macnamara visited the Temuka Cemetery and the former Claremont Novitiate.
The weekend also included meals with a small group of parishioners, and attending Sunday Mass with children from Sacred Heart School.
Three Marist Brothers arrived in Timaru in 1891, opening a school on October 12 with a roll of 145.
By the late 1920s, the school was providing such a high standard of education, locals called it the Browne Street University.
It burned down in 1924, and was rebuilt.
Br Pattison was the last principal, becoming deputy principal to Sr Elizabeth Sherry when the Marist School merged with Sacred Heart School in 1984.